v · Don Paolo
|Japanese VA||Minoru Inaba|
He is short but he can quickly disguise himself. His hair is mostly pointed upwards, but it was revealed in the Unwound Future that his hair wasn't previously styled in that manner. Don Paolo wears a purple coat with a red collar, and a white shirt with a turquoise tie. He has orange trousers and flat brown shoes.
The criminal mastermind who first comes to light in Curious Village, Don Paolo is renowned as a scientist of the highest order and views himself as Layton's rival. When he's not plotting evil plans, he enjoys listening to music. Despite this he can be very helpful, though he claims he only does it for Flora. He is very prone to anger, but rather intelligent and cunning.
Even Don Paolo makes up a couple of puzzles in Unwound Future. The first puzzle of his design were given while disguised as Schrader. This puzzle was "Medicine Time". Later on in the story, Professor Layton and Luke venture off into the Research Facility. To get inside they solve the puzzle "Follow the Code". Don Paolo reveals that this was his puzzle and then gives them "Beams and Ladders" as they go down into the facility. Near the end of the game Don Paolo gives Professor Layton the puzzle "Scrutinized Screws" in order to fix the Laytonmobile.
Don Paolo's Theme
|Length: 3m 12s|
Don Paolo's Theme (Live)
- He also appeared in Last Specter as a character in London Life, the bonus RPG game attached to the main adventure.
- In the games he is voiced by Christopher Miller, but in Eternal Diva, he was voiced by Jonathan Keeble. It is unknown why.
- In Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, when Don Paolo upgrades the Laytonmobile so that Layton and Luke can enter the Mobile Fortress, he claims he was "only doing it for Flora".
- 'Don' is a title given to nobility in Spanish culture, meaning the name 'Don Paolo' basically means 'Lord Paul' in Spanish. In Hispanic and Mexican cultures however, "Don" is reserved for older men as a different way of saying "señor" (Mister), so his name would mean Mr. Paul in that case.
- Don Paolo appears on another game called Inazuma Eleven (which is another different game franchise of Level-5) and appears on a team called the Layton Team. but it is only a brief appearance and his team may not be even challenged. This team includes Professor Layton, Luke, Flora, Don Paolo, Inspector Chelmey and Anton.
- In Diabolical Box, he disguises as Flora and matches everything, even her height. The ability to do this and match the character's voice is unknown.
- He does something similar in Eternal Diva, by disguising himself as an old woman much smaller than he is.
- Paolo is composer Tomohito Nishiura's favourite character.
- He despises sweets, which is one of the clues that gives him away while posing as Chelmey in Curious Village.
Curious VillageInspector Chelmey, Don Paolo is renowned as a scientist of the highest order and views himself as Layton's rival. When he's not plotting evil, Don Paolo also enjoys playing music.
NormalLayton's archnemesis, Don Paolo disguises himself as Flora to gain access to information and to wreck general havoc. Unbeknownst to Layton, Don Paolo also studied under Dr. Schrader.
Disguised as Flora ReinholdFlora, this actually Don Paolo in another of his masterful disguises. He swapped places with the real Flora to spy on Luke and Layton. He's such a master of mimicry that he's even got her walk down pat.
NormalLayton's archnemesis, Don Paolo's appearance changed forever when he found out that the girl he loved, Claire, was seeing Hershel Layton. His skill as an inventor is matched only by his mastery of disguise.
Disguised as Andrew SchraderDr. Schrader was actually Don Paolo in disguise. The likeness was perfect, but the mask slipped a little when Dr. Schrader wasn't surprised to see young Luke in the future.
Disguised as Dean Delmona
|Characters in Professor Layton and the Curious Village|
|Professor Layton and the Eternal DivaCharacters in|