Inspector Alfendi Layton is the title protagonist of the spin-off game, Layton Brothers: Mystery Room. He is Professor Layton's son, and works as an inspector for New Scotland Yard's Mystery Room department.
Four years prior to the events of Mystery Room, Alfendi wore a dark gray suit and had his hair shorter.
During the game, Alfendi wears a striped blue and red sweater with a long white coat. He wears red and white sneakers on his feet. He seems to keep newspapers in his pockets all the time. He keeps a long dark blue coat (as shown in the case selection screen), but apparently only wears it if he's not working (shown during denouement and credits of the game). When his "Placid" state is fronting, his hair is neatly tied back into a low ponytail behind his neck, its color resembling a wine purple, while it dangles in a long, deep crimson fringe when his "Potty" state fronts.
Following the events at Forbodium Castle, Alfendi developed a dissosciative identity disorder involving two dissociative states, referred to by Lucy Baker as "Placid Prof" and "Potty Prof". His original personality state, "Potty", fronts irregularly, while "Placid" fronts the majority of the time, so much so that Lucy initially believed Placid to be his original personality. Sometimes switching between the two makes him feel unwell (as seen in Cases 2, 3 and 4).
When Potty switches in, Alfendi displays a savage temper and demonstrates a fascination with criminals—the more gruesome and sadistic they are, the "better". Florence Sich advised Lucy that she should be safe if a criminal was present, but to run if she was alone with him. When Placid presents, however, Alfendi is very laid back and calm, although he can still become quite single minded at times and displays similar investigative skill and deductive logic.
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room Edit
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy Edit
In the last Case Coda of the game titled 'Letter to a Friend', Katrielle writes a letter to Lucy, mentioning Alfendi and his ongoing work together with Lucy.
- Lucy Baker refers to him as "Prof" due to his role as a teacher to her, a new detective. Alfendi finds it inappropriate due to his father being an actual professor.
- His relationship with Lucy is often questioned by many characters. At one point, Roscoe Strapping referred to him as "frigid Fendi".
- It is mentioned in Alfendi's profile in Case 9 that he is 29 years old.
- During the events of Mystery Room, it is mentioned on several occasions that Alfendi has a brother. It is unknown whether this is referring to an actual brother or to his alter.
- The first time Lucy witnesses "Potty Prof" fronting in the course of the game, she compares Alfendi's shift in personality and demeanor to Jekyll and Hyde, a common literary inspiration for the idea of dissociative identity disorders.
- Alfendi's mention in Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy indicates that his presence remains canon.
- ^ LEVEL5 VISION 2011 Recap - LEVEL-5 International America
- ^ Level-5's Mystery Room Reborn as a Layton Title for iPhone - Andriasang