Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy is a new upcoming game in the Professor Layton series. It features Katrielle Layton, the daughter of Professor Layton. With the help of her talking dog Sherl, she solved various smaller mysteries in London in the hope of finding her missing father.
Currently, the game is being promoted through an ongoing campaign, which has people solve puzzles in the real world all around the globe. During this campaign, it is possible to obtain items that can be transferred to the actual game once it releases.
Gameplay Changes Edit
- On iOS/Android, since the entire screen is touch sensitive, including the "top" screen, you can simply tap the places to investigate directly, instead of moving the magnifying glass over to it.
- This is similar to how the Professor Layton games worked on the Nintendo DS.
- The magnifying glass from the 3DS games is also still present; allowing the player to choose between both styles.
- You can now revisit previous cases at any time.
- Once a case is solved, revisiting it will show how many puzzles are left to solve and how many hint coins are left to find. The map will also highlight all locations where everything has been solved/found.
- Some puzzles will only appear after the case has been solved.
- Due to this mechanic; it is now impossible to miss any puzzles. As such, Granny Riddleton is now a regular character; though she still occasionally gives a puzzle of her own.
- Cases can be solved in any order, as long as they are available. Multiple cases may unlock at once.
- Some spots now hide ten hint coins instead of just one. If one of these spots is tapped, all coins will fly out simultaneously as a fountain.
- Picarats will now be removed for up to four incorrect answers, instead of two.
Major Characters Edit
- Katrielle Layton
- Sherl, Katrielle's assistant talking dog
- Ernest Greeves, Katrielle's assistant
- Emiliana Perfetti, a criminal profiler working at Scotland Yard, and a rival of Katrielle's
- Inspector Ercule Hastings
The Seven Dragons Edit
- Madame Gretchin Doublée, the leader of the Seven Dragons who has many successful businesses across London.
- Mayor Pipper Lowonida, mayor of London who has a passion for festivals
- Phineas T. Barnone, owner of many entertainment establishments, including the Saveloy Theatre
- Liza Wight, the youngest of the Seven Dragons, who inherited her money after her parents' untimely death
- Grant Sloanes, owner of the Layman's Reserve bank, among other businesses.
- Cesar Chance, owner of the London Times as well as other media companies.
- Mustafa Fullhold, owner of Bountiful Holdings, a ship building and shipping business. He also owns the Thametanic.
Minor/Recurring Characters Edit
- Granny Riddleton
- Dean Delmona
- Douglas Dert
- PC Beate
- DC Nick Booker
- Gudrun Weldon
- Hans Lipski
- Aleks Lipski
- Seán Butchin
- Unnamed waiter
- Bo Bells
- Benni, from San Grio
- Bob Bracket
- Patch, a cat
- Clover Pryce, owner of The Lucky Clover
- Ambassador Fouxdufàfà
- Hessie Tate, Mayor Lowonida's secretary
- Stripey, another cat
- Keane Fisher, a fisherman
- Felicity Hastings, Inspector Hasting's wife
- Maverick D. Rector, a famous director
- Seymour Fraymes, a projectionist in the Saveloy Theatre
- The Major, a talking bird
- Eddie Torre, a film editor who has worked with D. Rector
- Unnamed Maid, works in Madame Doublée's residence
- Rex, Madame Doublee's pet
- Yapper, a dog
- Wooooster, butler to the Wight residence
- Bianca Teller, general manager of the Layman's Reserve bank
- Unnamed Security Guard, working in the Layman's Reserve bank
- Shadee, a Gressenheller University student
- Taboras Lloyd, chief editor at the London Times. He is a childhood friend of Cesar Chance
- Ratman, the masked 'powermouse' superhero who has been protecting Londoners from crime
- Ratboy, a young boy who is obsessed with the superhero Ratman
- Mo Heecan
- Mrs Slow, the tailor in Bowlyn Hill
- Captain Midas Pullman, captain of the Thametanic
- Abel Seamon, navigator of the Thametanic
- Declan Swabber, engineer on the Thametanic
- Dr Gene Ohm, a researcher of genetically engineered plants at Gressenheller University
- Billy Kidd, a student at Gressenheller University who looks after the goats in the university
- Chief Inspector Royall Britannias, a chief inspector at Scotland Yard who has a fierce rivalry with Inspector Hastings
Downloadable Content Edit
|1||Dating Dress & Puzzle||€1.89|
|2||Equestrian Ensemble & Puzzle||€1.89|
|3||Cardinal Cape Coat & Puzzle||€1.89|
|4||Monotone Minidress & Puzzle||€1.89|
|5||Retro Refit & Puzzle||€1.89|
|6||Sky-blue Statement & Puzzle||€1.89|
|7||Pleated Pleaser & Puzzle||€1.89|
|8||Denim Daily & Puzzle||€1.89|
|9||Imperial Elegance & Puzzle||€1.89|
|10||Picnic Blanket Wrap & Puzzle||€1.89|
|11||Daddy's Girl & Puzzle||€1.89|
|12||Luke Lookalike & Puzzle||€1.89|
|13||Emmy Impersonation & Puzzle||€1.89|
|14||Anton-ish Attire & Puzzle||€1.89|
|15||Aurora Again & Puzzle||€1.89|
|Total (if bought individually)||€28.35|
|Kat's Clobber & Puzzles Set (1-10)||€16.99|
|Kat's Cosplay & Puzzles Set (11-15)||€7.49|
|Total (if bought as packs)||€24.48|
- Prologue: Lady and a Tramp
- Case 1: The Hand that Feeds
- Case 2: Murder on the Thames
- Case 3: The Stolen Kiss
- Case 4: Pet Pandemonium
- Case 5: Ghost Busted
- Case 6: An Unexpected Windfall
- Case 7: Ratman Returns
- Case 8: Goddess of the Thames
- Case 9: Hastings Off the Beat
- Case 10: The Importance of Being Ernest
- Case 11: Katrielle Layton: WANTED!
- Case 12: The Million Pound Puzzler[n 2]
- Case 13: The Dragons Unite
Prologue: Lady and a Tramp Edit
Case 1: The Hand that Feeds Edit
One of the hands of Big Ben has gone missing and the police call upon Katrielle to solve the case.
Case 2: Murder on the Thames Edit
In London, a big festival called the "Riverside Festival" is about to begin. It is a special event where two lovers confess their love to each other on opposite sides of the River Thames. However, right before the last day of the event, two such lovers meet an unnatural death right after confessing. This seems to somehow be connected to the mysterious legend that started the event in the first place.
Case 3: The Stolen Kiss Edit
Ernest Greeves enters the Layton Detective Agency and tells Katrielle and Sherl that he has won some tickets for a movie premiere in the nearby Saveloy Theatre. Katrielle an Ernest decide to attend; but just as the movie is about to reach its climatic kiss scene, it turns out the scene has been stolen!
Case 4: Pet Pandemonium Edit
Madame Gretchin Doublée asks for the help of Katrielle to find her pet Rex, who has seemingly disappeared.
Case 5: Ghost Busted Edit
Katrielle is invited by Liza Wight to her residence to investigate on ghosts that appear to be haunting the mansion.
Case 6: An Unexpected Windfall Edit
The Layman's Reserve bank, owned by Grant Sloanes, has been robbed of one hundred million worth of paper notes. They enlist the help of Katrielle to find out the culprit.
Case 7: Ratman Returns Edit
Case 8: Goddess of the Thames Edit
As a thanks for their previous help, Katrielle, Ernest, and Sherl are all invited for a luxury cruise on the Thametanic. Once aboard, the owner of the ship, Mustafa Fullhold decides to entertain the guests with a treasure hunt around the ship where they have to find little statues of the Goddess of the Thames. But when the main prize, a fully sized golden statue worth millions, goes missing, Katrielle is tasked with finding it back.
Case 9: Hastings Off the Beat Edit
On Godwin's day, a local holiday, Katrielle is enjoying her day without work. Suddenly, Inspector Hastings enters the Detective Agency and tells Katrielle that today is his wife's birthday and that he forgot all about it. He begs Katrielle to help find a suitable present on this day, where every shop is closed.
Case 10: The Importance of Being Ernest Edit
Sherl is having a talk with Ernest about why the latter is so willing to work for Katrielle despite not being paid. Ernest then tells him the story of how he once was accused of theft, and how Katrielle managed to prove his innocence.
Case 11: Katrielle Layton: WANTED! Edit
Case 12: The Million Pound Puzzler Edit
- Main article: Gallery:Layton's Mystery Journey
- Akihiro Hino (LEVEL-5 CEO) stated in a Famitsu article that LEVEL-5's reason for creating a female protagonist was because more than half of all players of the Professor Layton series were female, and selected a female protagonist to appeal more to players.
- The game contains a glitch where the play time will suddenly display "99 h 59 min" of play time. If the game is saved when the glitch occurs; the save screen will show the time as either "0:00" or completely blank.
- In some cases, fully quiting the game and reloading the glitched save file will restore the proper time. Some people have also managed to restore their times by uploading it to the LEVEL-5 ID service and re-downloading it.
- It is unknown what causes this glitch to happen.
- The 3DS version of the game does not have any 3D effects, unlike most 3DS games. Adjusting the 3D slider on the system has no effect.
- The Second Case, Murder on the Thames, shares a name with Annie Dretche's famous mystery novel.
- Official Japanese website
- Official English website
- Google Play Store (Japan)
- Google Play Store (North America)
- Google Play Store (Europe)
- iTunes Store
- ^ Prices may differ according to region; even with the same currency.
- ^ When starting this case, the title card will show the name as "Diamonds Aren't Forever". This appears to be an oversight, as this name is not used anywhere else.
- ^ Layton's Mystery Journey 3DS release confirmed for October 6 in North America - Nintendo Everything
- ^ The renowned Layton series returns to Nintendo 3DS as LAYTON'S MYSTERY JOURNEY™: Katrielle and the Millionaires’ Conspiracy launches on 6th October - Nintendo UK
- ^ a b Layton’s Mystery Journey, formerly Lady Layton, launches for 3DS in Japan and smartphones worldwide on July 20 - Gematsu
- ^ New Titles Announced at “LEVEL-5 Vision 2016: New Heroes” Event - LEVEL-5 International America
- ^ New Level-5 trademarks include 'Lady Layton,' two more Yo-kai Watch games - Destructoid
- ^ Lady Layton: why the protagonist is a woman, game structured like a TV series - Perfectly Nintendo
|Professor Layton series|