|Layton Brothers: Mystery Room|
|Platform(s)|| (4.3 and later)|
(2.3.3 and later)
|Release date|| iOS|
|Rating(s)|| iTunes: Twelve years and older (12+)|
Google Play: Medium Maturity
|In other languages|
Layton Brothers: Mystery Room (レイトンブラザーズ・ミステリールーム, Reiton Burazāzu: Misuterī Rūmu) is a Professor Layton series spin-off game for the iOS and Android mobile operating systems. It was announced on the LEVEL-5 Vision event 2011.
The game follows Lucy Baker, a beginning detective who is transferred to Scotland Yard. Here, she works under Alfendi Layton, son of the renowned Professor Hershel Layton. Together, they investigate crimes for Scotland Yard's "Mystery Room".
The game was released as a freemium game: the game itself and the first 2 cases (and prologue) are free, while two additional packs of respectively 4 and 3 cases can be bought from within the app.
Originally, the game was to be called just "Mystery Room", and was a Nintendo DS game that belonged to LEVEL-5's Atamania series and was first announced at LEVEL-5 Vision 2009. In Mystery Room, the players would team up with detectives Poccho and Sly to solve crimes.
At some point in time, LEVEL-5 decided to put the game under the Professor Layton series instead. The original focus on solving mysteries and crimes remained intact but besides that, several changes were made from the original version: new characters were designed to fit in the Professor Layton universe, and the release platform was changed to Apple's iOS mobile operating system. A reason for the latter is unknown.
On June 14, 2013, LEVEL-5 opened a teaser site with a hidden Layton Brothers logo. This was an early hint towards the localization of the game. The game was released in English on June 27, 2013.
The logo can be accessed by clicking on 9 sets of doors, and then clicking on the magnifying glass, and finally on the door keyhole. Only the first fraction of the logo can be seen.
- File No. 000: Freshly Baker (Prologue)
- File No. 001: The Hand Sandwich
- File No. 002: The Bungled Burglary
- File No. 003: A Murder Staged [DLC1]
- File No. 004: The Walking Corpse [DLC1]
- File No. 005: The DJ's Swansong [DLC1]
- File No. 006: Kiss Goodbye [DLC1]
- File No. 007: The Mystery Rooms [DLC2]
- File No. 008: Ham and Cheese [DLC2]
- File No. 009: Good Cop, Bad Cop [DLC2]
- Lucy Baker
- Alfendi Layton
- Justin Lawson
- Dustin Scowers, a janitor at Scotland Yard.
- Florence Sich, a forensics analyst.
- "Sniffer" Hague
- Scotland Yard's Commissioner
- Deputy Commissioner Chan
File No. 001
- Sandy Aldwich, a guest at a five-star hotel. The victim.
- Bosco Felps, Aldwich's lover.
- Vera Wipovsky, a hotel cleaner
- Zach Carrière, a bellboy.
File No. 002
- Jack Potsby, an unemployed man. The victim.
- Buster Nicks, an old serial burglar.
- Chase M. Downes, the caretaker at the block of flats.
- Goldie Potsby-Mahn, Jack Potsby's wife.
- Bingo, Potsby-Mahn's new boyfriend and nicknamed "Bing".
File No. 003
- Gloria Blaise, an actress playing the role of the heroine during a play. The victim.
- Roscoe Strapping, Blaise's co-star and fiancé playing the hero.
- Destiny Knox, a supporting actress.
- Bray Clegg, a stage hand.
File No. 004
- Archie O'Logie, a world-famous professor of archaeology.
- Doug Scowers, Dustin's brother and one of O'Logie's students.
- Micah Sasucasa, a hotel proprietor.
- Chico Careta, a local guide for O'Logie and co.
- Mariana Etista, a hotel worker.
File No. 005
- Dwight Dread, a DJ who died while on air.
- Dolly Hollerday, a singer who was a guest on Dread's show.
- Melody Smith, Hollerday's manager.
- Mike de Bonair, the director of the show.
- Randal Mann, the sound man.
- Anice Brewer, the tea lady.
File No. 006
- Severino Agonni, head of the Agonnis.
- Barbarossa Sassina, Agonni's right-hand man.
- Pearce 'Blood' Boyle, the family strongman.
- Angelo Fassi, the family pretty boy.
- Uttar Mistry, a delivery boy for Dale Herl's Deli.
File No. 007
File No. 008
- Pig, a millionaire and the victim.
- Cat, Pig's wife.
- Hen, the housekeeper of Pig's mansion.
- Dog, a trader of dubious character.
- Donkey, a jeweler and a shady gemstone merchant.
File No. 009
- Keelan Makepeace, a serial killer and the original victim
- Diane Makepeace, Keelan Makepeace's daugther and the second victim
- The English version uses incorrect grammar to simulate the dialects of various characters.
- The European Android version contains a bug in which the prices for the case packs are listed as €227 and €151 instead of €2.27 and €1.51 for case packs 1 and 2 respectively. The prices are correct in the Google Play store.
- Official Japanese website
- Official International website
- iTunes App Store page (Japanese Ver.)
- iTunes App Store (English Ver.)
- Google Play Store (English Ver.)
- ^ Tokyo Game Show 2012 - level5.co.jp
- ^ Level-5's Mystery Room Reborn as a Layton Title for iPhone - Andriasang
- ^ Layton Brothers: Mystery Room - level5.co.jp
|v · d · eGames in the Professor Layton series|
|First Trilogy||Professor Layton and the... Curious Village | Diabolical Box | Unwound Future|
|Second Trilogy||Professor Layton and the... Last Specter | Miracle Mask | Azran Legacy|
|Crossover||Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney | Professor Layton Royale|
|Other||Professor Layton's London Life | Professor Layton and the Mansion of the Deathly Mirror | Layton Brothers: Mystery Room | Professor Layton and the Phantom Thieves|