v · Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Nintendo eShop (3DS)
Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is a crossover puzzle/adventure video game for the Nintendo 3DS system. It is developed by LEVEL-5 and Capcom, and published by LEVEL-5. The game features the main characters of the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series. It was announced at the LEVEL-5 Vision 2010 Event.
At first, there were no plans to release the game outside Japan, but a petition was made to change this. The game ended first in a poll made by LEVEL-5 to see what games people would like to see translated. It also received an English press release on the Tokyo Game Show 2011. A possible western release was later hinted by LEVEL-5 CEO Akihiro Hino at the 2013 Japan expo in France, stating that "something is in the works, but no details can be given". Finally, the game was confirmed for localization on August 7, 2013 in a Nintendo Direct presentation. (The North American release is scheduled for August 29, 2014 according to a Nintendo Treehouse announcement at E3.)
As with all Professor Layton games, the game features additional Downloadable Content (DLC). This time there are 2 types of DLC: The first type unlocks a new mini-scenario, including puzzles, while the other unlocks an art gallery. The DLC can only be used after completing the game. New DLC is released every week for 24 weeks, alternating between the 2 types.
GameplayThe game combines the gameplay mechanics from the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series. There are 2 major parts: adventure and trial.
The adventure part plays similar to the games of the Professor Layton series. Professor Layton and Luke explore various locations and will need to solve a puzzle now and then to advance. In this game you can also hit an "object" button if a puzzle has no answer. This cannot be done on every puzzle.The trial part plays like the trials in the Ace Attorney series. Phoenix Wright has to prove the innocence of his client in multiple trials, including the new Witch Trials. These Witch Trials feature some changes to the classic trials from the Ace Attorney series. Phoenix will have to take on an entire mob of witnesses, who may talk amongst themselves freely. This was done to give the player an idea of how a trial in the Middle Ages would be like. Some Professor Layton elements have been worked into the trial parts as well. You can for example use hint coins during a trial to find the correct piece of evidence.
The game features complete cutscenes with voice acting. Gameplay itself is in 3D, which was previously introduced in Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, but will be new to the Ace Attorney series. Despite all this, Capcom is responsible for the ingame artwork.
- The cursor (magnifying glass) now blinks when there is a hint coin hidden on that location, on top of turning orange.
- Obtaining a hint coin shows a counter of the current amount of coins you have.
- You can now walk immediately to all available locations visible on your map, rather than walking the entire path one-by-one.
- The map now has a feature that shows how many hidden puzzles and hint coins are left in a specific place.
- Prologue: On a Dark and Stormy Night (adventure)
- Prologue: English Turnabout (trial)
- Chapter 1: Mysterious Labyrinthia (adventure)
- Chapter 2: The Fire Witch (trial)
- Chapter 3: The Great Witch (adventure)
- Chapter 4: The Golden Court (trial)
- Chapter 5: A Taste of Despair (adventure)
- Chapter 6: Secrets of the Underground Ruins (adventure)
- Chapter 7: The Story's End (adventure)
- Chapter 8:The Final Witch Trial (trial/adventure)
- Chapter 9: The Last Inquisitor (trial)
- Epilogue: The First Story (trial)
Professor Layton series
Ace Attorney series
- Espella Cantabella, a young girl accused of witchcraft.
- The Storyteller, the main villain.
- High Inquisitor Darklaw, a prosecutor and second-in-command after the Storyteller.
- Sir Zacharias Barnham, a local prosecutor.
- Johnny Smiles
- A Judge in London
- Another Judge in Labyrinthia
- Captain, leader of the Knights
- Carmine Accidenti
- Cecil and Petal
- Cracker, Birdly's parrot
- Emeer Punchenbaug
- Eve, Patty's cat
- Flynch, a prosecutor in London
- Hoot, the Storyteller's owl
- Jean Greyerl
- Kira, a flower girl.
- Muggs and Robbs
- Newton Belduke
- Olivia Aldente
- Patty Eclaire
- Ms Primstone
- Ridelle Mystere
The game started out as an idea of LEVEL-5 CEO Akihiro Hino, who has always been a great fan of the Ace Attorney series. He proposed the idea to Capcom, but was 80% sure they would not accept the offer. Shu Takumi, the designer for the Ace Attorney series, was surprised by the offer, but eventually accepted on condition that he could write the scripts.
Both companies will work on the game on equal level, with different roles. It was stated that they "wanted to create a great history, which would have been impossible if both parties were not fully involved", to which Takumi added:
- "With the cooperation of LEVEL-5, we hope to deliver a game that exceeds everyone's expectations".
In order to combine the styles from both series, the characters from the Ace Attorney series will be draw with less detail, while the characters from the Professor Layton series gain slightly more detail. The game will also feature fully animated scenes, provided by the Japanese animation studio Bones.
Boxarts & Logo
Main Theme (Beta mix)
|Length: 1m 53s|
- While not officially confirmed, the events of Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney have to happen somewhere between Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box and Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. This is because Barton and the real Inspector Chelmey were only introduced to Professor Layton and Luke in Diabolical Box, and due to certain events in Unwound Future.
- Similarly, while not officially confirmed, the game's events are implied to take place after (or possibly during) the events of a certain character in court during the game's final scene, it likely also takes place after Trials and Tribulations but before the events of . This would place the game sometime in late February, 2019, according to the . , as Maya makes reference to "Zvarri!", the catchphrase of Trials and Tribulations Case 2 character , and before , as Phoenix has not yet been disbarred. Given the appearance of
- In the original artwork of the game, Luke can be seen wearing his outfit from Last Specter. This is because they were still unsure whether Emmy Altava should be in the game or not. Eventually they decided to leave her out, thus Luke's outfit was changed. It also allowed for Chelmey and Barton to make an appearance.
- The OST for the game features many tracks from previous Professor Layton and Ace Attorney games remixed.
- Artwork from the Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Artbook, suggest's that Phoenix's childhood friend, , was originally going too appear in the game.
- Unlike the previous Professor Layton games, Luke retains his European voice actress, Maria Darling, for the North American release. Additionally, the text was kept in British English for the North American release.
- This is the first Ace Attorney in which all interjections are voiced, even for minor characters. In the main series, voiced interjections are usually limited to attorneys and prosecutors, with rare exceptions.
- The game takes place sometime between February through April 2019 in the Ace Attorney timeline..
- ^ Hold It! Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney Is Coming In November - Siliconera
- ^ a b E3 2014: Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright Coming to US This Fall - IGN
- ^ Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney coming to 3DS on March 28 in Europe - Polygon
- ^ NINTENDO UNVEILS NEW DETAILS ON MARIO KART 8 AND SUPER SMASH BROS. - Nintendo Australia
- ^ a b c d e TGS: Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: The Inside Story - 1UP
- ^ Complete LEVEL-5 Vision conference report: Time Travellers 3DS... - VG247.com
- ^ Layton VS Phoenix Wright only for Japan - EuroGamer
- ^ LEVEL5-IA Twitter Status 96720844763566080 - Twitter
- ^ TGS Press Release Hints At Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Localization - Siliconera
- ^ Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney may still see a Western release - Polygon
- ^ LEVEL-5 TGS 2012 - level5.co.jp
- ^ CAPCOM: TOKYO GAME SHOW 2012 - capcom.co.jp
- ^ Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - DLC - layton-vs-gyakuten.jp
- ^ Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney Has Downloadable Director’s Cut - Siliconera
- ^ Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney Will Have DLC For The Next 24 Weeks - Siliconera
- ^ Professor Layton Crossing With Ace Attorney - Andriasang
- ^ a b Inafune surprised Layton/Wright happened - EuroGamer
- ^ a b So Who Came Up with This Layton VS Ace Attorney Thing Anyway? - Andriasang
- ^ Bones Making Anime Cutscenes For Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney - Siliconera
- ^ Nintendo Dream Vol. 223 (November 2012)
- ^ All of Ace Attorney on One Long Timeline - Kotaku ~ 7/28/15
|Professor Layton series|